Types of B vitamins: Functions, sources, and deficiencies
8 Types of B Vitamins | Vitamins and Minerals
What does vitamin B do?
Vitamin Products available in Pharmacies in Egypt:
- B1 ( Thiamin ) | Biotin vitamin b supplements, Biotin Fort Capsules.
- B 2 ( Riboflavin ) | Elevit pronatal Tablets, Vitayami Tablets
- B 3 ( Niacin ) Perfectly Original Tablets in Egypt Prices
- B 5 ( Pantothenic Acid ) MARNYS® Nobiletil,
- B 6 ( Pyridoxine ) Vitamount For Men, Vitamount for Women
- B 7 ( Biotin ) Biotin vitamin b supplements, Biotin Fort Capsules.
- B 9 ( Folate, Folic Acid ) Folic Acid 5 mg Tablets Price in Egypt, FOLICAP 2500 MCG tablet
- B12 ( Co-balamin ) COBAL 500 mg Tablets Price in Egypt
Functions & Roles of Vitamin (B-complex) in Human Body:
- Thiamin: called vitamin B1, can helps the body’s cells change the carbohydrates into energy with main role of carbohydrates is to provide energy for the body, especially the brain and nervous system. Thiamin also plays a role in the muscle contraction and conduction of the nerve signals.
- Riboflavin called vitamin B2 works with the other B vitamins. It is important for body growth. It helps in red blood cell production. It also aids in the release of energy from proteins.
- Niacin called vitamin B3 that’s made and used by your body to turn food into energy. It helps keep your nervous system, digestive system and skin healthy.
- Pantothenic Acid called vitamin B5, help the body convert food carbohydrates into fuel or glucose, which the body uses to produce energy. These B vitamins, often referred to as B complex vitamins, also help the body use fats and protein.
- Pyridoxine called vitamin B6 is required for the proper function of sugars, fats, and proteins in the body. It is also required for the proper growth and development of the brain, nerves, skin, and many other parts of the body.
- Biotin called vitamin B7 is often recommended for strengthening hair and nails, and it’s found in many cosmetic products for hair and skin. Like all B vitamins, it is a water soluble, meaning the body does not store it.
- Folic acid ( Folate ) called vitamin B9 helps make healthy red blood cells, which carry oxygen around the body. If we do not have enough folic acid, the body can make abnormally large red blood cells that do not work properly. This causes folate deficiency anaemia, which can cause tiredness and other symptoms.
- Cobalamin called vitamin B12, is one of 8 B vitamins. All B vitamins help the body convert food (carbohydrates) into fuel (glucose), which is used to produce energy. These B vitamins, often referred to as B complex vitamins, also help the body use fats and protein.
Good sources of different types of vitamin B:
Food Sources for Thiamin Vit.B1
- Fortified breakfast cereals.
- Beans, lentils.
- Green peas.
- Enriched cereals, breads, noodles, rice.
- Sunflower seeds.
Food Sources for Riboflavin Vit.B1
- Fortified breakfast cereals.
- Plain yoghurt.
Food Sources forPantothenic Acid Vit.B5
- Fortified cereals.
- Organ meats (liver, kidney)
- Chicken breast.
- Nuts, seeds.
- Dairy milk.
Food Sources for Niacin Vit.B5
- Whole grains.
- Enriched grains.
- Beef, Chicken and Turkey.
- Many legumes.
- Soy products
Food Sources for Pyridoxine Vit.B6
- Fish, Chicken and Turkey.
- Soya beans.
Food Sources for Biotin Vit.B7
- Egg yolks.
- Peas, Beans, and Lentils
- Nuts and Seeds
- Sweet potatoes.
Food Sources for Folic Acid Vit.B9
- Brussels sprouts.
- Leafy green vegetables: cabbage, kale, spring greens and spinach.
- Chickpeas and Kidney beans.
- Liver (Note: avoid this during pregnancy)
- Breakfast-Cereals fortified with folic acid.
Food Sources for Cobalamine Vit.B12
- Fish and Shellfish.
- Poultry and eggs.
- Dairy products.
- Fortified cereals.
Deficiency of Vitamin B (B-complex) in Human Body:
Vitamin B12 deficiency means that your body does not have enough of this vitamin. You may need B12 to make red blood cells, which carry oxygen through your body. Not having enough B12 can lead to anemia, which means your body does not have enough red blood cells to do the job. This can make you feel weak and tired.
Vitamin B Supplements in Pharmacies in Egypt:
- Biotin vitamin b supplements.
- Biotin Fort Capsules.
- Elevit pronatal Tablets.
- Vitayami Tablets.
- Perfectly Original Tablets
- MARNYS® Nobiletil
- Vitamount For Men.
- Vitamount for Women.
- Folic Acid 5 mg Tablets.
- FOLICAP 2500 MCG tablet.
- COBAL 500 mg Tablets.
Important concerns about the 8 Types of B Vitamins
- What is Vitamin B Complex? main role is building blocks of a healthy body, B vitamins have a direct impact on your energy levels, brain function, and cell metabolism. Vitamin B complexprevent infections and helps support or promote the cell health.
- What is Vitamin B deficiency symptoms? when Vitamin B is low you may feel with the following symptoms such as: Constipation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or gas. Nerve problems like numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, and problems walking. Vision loss. Mental problems like depression, memory loss, or behavioral changes.
- What is Vitamin B name? B1thiamin, B2 riboflavin, B3 niacin, B5 pantothenic acid, B6 pyridoxine, B7 biotin, B9 folate, folic acid, B12 cobalamin
- Why is vitamin b important for athletes? it helps support energy metabolism and is important for blood health: in particular a deficiency can lead to pernicious anaemia. From a food perspective B12 tends to come from animal-based foods and is much less common in non-fortified vegetable sources.
Follow Gardenia Pharmacy Facebook
Read All About the Essential vitamins and supplements in Egyptian Market